04.15.07

Carnival of Family Life #50

Posted in Uncategorized at 7:27 pm

Welcome to the 50th Carnival of Family Life!

CFL50 iconSome days I want to change the world and other days I love to sit back & enjoy it the way it is. Kailani’s carnival is definately for enjoying.

Speaking of enjoying, I’d like to say how much I enjoyed Lil Duck Duck’s hosting of the Carnival of Family Life last week.  This too.

Stories

Kailani presents A New Competitive Sport posted at An Island Life. (I really did think that adding Kailani’s link for this crowd was silly, but in case someone doesn’t have it handy.)

Some of the very best blogs this week were reflections on sadness. Was it the gray weather? Tax time? Just don’t miss them.

Jeremy at Daddy Dialectic remembers the impact Kurt Vonnegut had on his life, with some interesting thoughts on the value of sadness.

Sadness as a spice as you move through life’s stages, from Hueina Su My Little Thomas the Tank Engine posted at Echoes of Cold Moon.

TherapyDoc at Everyone Needs Therapy hit all the holiday hotspots in her story that puts everything in perspective.

Much as I loved reading everyone’s blogs, Karen’s entry was a very welcome break – The Piano Concerto posted at Karen Shanley: Author Mom with Dogs.

This next story has one of my favorite characteristics in the Carnival of Family Life submissions – it revolves around action that could have been based on my day or any of my friend’s, yet it was heart-warming. Then I got to DeputyHeadmistress’s comment on the awful thing she had done that had guilted her into posting such a nice piece – I had to laugh. Please enjoy On His Day Off posted at The Common Room.

Ready for Spring? – Lill is – Local Color posted at News from Hawkhill Acres.

Mom & Dad present Easter Dinner With a Two Year Old posted at Raising 4 Boys.

Another theme this week – old fashioned toys: muse presents Old Fashioned Fun! posted at me-ander.

A very happy day from a very serious site. Congratulations to Megan and Paul. Wedding in the Rainforest posted at Child Protection: Serious Business..

A touching account of FridaysChild’s parent’s love inspired by their 50th wedding aniversary at her very colorful website . She has the added distinction of being the first submission this week – of course, if I ever am first, you can be pretty sure I was hoping to be in the last one.

A little venting from Julee at HomeSchoolDaze on strangers brings out an hysterical comment.

T Minus Five Months captures all the sadness, guilt and fear involved as your child moves to the next stage. Really great if you’re on the far side of the transition – you get to say, “I remember feeling that but the new stage was so much better.” From Lena at Cheeky Lotus. (Actually a quote in Jordan’s submission under advice makes my point so much better.)

A typical stress day with kids and what makes it all worthwhile from Csara at Baby Talkers.

Okay. I thought I was too busy for stories this week (after all I was editing this) but the drama last night demanded one. Enjoy 10-yr-old Techie Ghost Stories.

Humor

Is it payback time? from ManicMama . It reminds me of the glee in my mother’s voice as she spoke of the coming payback on the birth of my first daughter. She was thinking of the time I decorated the wall above the crib with the contents of my diaper. My mother’s reaction at the time is probably responsible for my utter lack of any subsequent artistic talent.

Pregnancy-stupidity, pre-menopausal-stupidity, post-menopausal-stupidity, senior-moment-stupidity, what-ever … Sherry at Chaos Theory nails it and we all hope it will go away. (I was giggling so much while reading some of her antics that my husband needed to know why – as I read them out he wanted to know why she was writing about me.)

The Expatriate’s Kitchen: Taute Cuisine 6: Battle Orange Continues was a toss-up between food (the sweet potato gratin looks really good) and humor. You know if Expat Chef ‘s tag-line is “wit as sharp as his 10-inch culinary knife” he has to be able to pull it off – though in my house I give small children knives so they don’t hurt themselves on dangerous things in the kitchen . . . Never did work out that honing stone stuff. It’s posted at The Expatriate’s Kitchen.

Madeleine Begun Kane presents A Doggone Limerick posted at Mad Kane’s Humor Blog. And just because I like her limericks and in honor of the day, don’t miss Yet Another Tax Filing Limerick .

Somehow I think Karen missed her opportunity to be a star of Youtube -Doctor, Heal Thyself posted at PediaScribe Blog.

Your Health

Dr. Alex at RDoctor.com had a very interesting and challenging site with a submission on Cesarean Section with an accompanying quiz.

Finally, the secret to diet sucess at Karen’s blog Live the Power . (Not to be a spoiler, but does this mean if I really believe in the chocolate diet I’ll lose weight?) It’s also a very nice reflection on the little things we do to make our extended family happy.

Food

For the definitive word on grilled cheese and bacon sandwiches and the best 387 comments on the subject from skeet at skeet’s stuff. I can only imagine what the recipe for meatloaf might bring.

Absolutely scrumptious-looking breakfast recipes at Fish Creek Inn’s website - though I think someone using margarine with sausage and cheese is probably in serious denial. (It may have just been a fleeting holdover from the previous day’s yogurt & strawberry pancake mindset.)

Advice

Remember the quiet joy when your infant was absolutely content? The insight Anmol Mehta offers at his blog on Mastery of Meditation, Enlightenment & Kundalini Yoga may help you find a way to extend that feeling.

A pithy blog on how redefining the problem can help you work with your teenager at Modern Sage Online.

Lending advice a little less stringent than Shakespeare’s from Grad Money [Matters] covering good points you may never thought of (are you nosy?- forget lending). It includes a very valuable link if you should decide you really could be your son-in-law’s banker.

Stephen  somehow missed firehosing all preschoolers daily to stop germs, but otherwise a nice comprehesive list for Coping with Preschool Sickness posted at Project Paradox.

Kevin presents Tips For Teaching Toddlers To Share posted at More4kids Parenting. But what I really want to know is why they forget all the carefully instilled sharing lessons as soon as they are adolescent sisters? (& why would they want to share a hairbrush??)

Tonya presents Temper Tantrums (TT) posted at Tears-n-Tantrums.

Good to know for your next trivia contest or maybe advice if you’re picking out names – Lisa presents Baby Names from Around the World posted at Let’s Talk Babies.

Lisa, last week’s hostess, presents 3rd birthday party activity ideas posted at Lil Duck Duck.

Some ways to bring medieval culture to your family (sort-of – will Monty Python really lead to a life of appreciating history?) from Mother Road at Disney’s Family.com.

Karen presents 25 Ways to Save Money with a Baby posted at Thrifty Mommy.

Jordan includes a great quote for those times when things seem overwhelming in Growing Pains posted at MamaBlogga.

Dr. Hal presents North Star Mental Fitness Blog: Four Miraculous Phrases posted at North Star Mental Fitness Blog. You might think about when these phrases are taught to small children – two are among the first phrases learned but I’m wondering if I’m an incompetent parent that I haven’t ‘taught’ my children to say the fourth.

Lori presents Tips for Fun at the Park or Playground with Kids posted at Fun Play Dates. I am really ambivalent about the invitations to playdates (How is a real special day made special?) but her other suggestions are classic.

Another on the classic toy theme this week – Kerri presents Educating at Playtime posted at Play Library.

Leisa presents Musicality posted at downwiththekids.net. Is this the pay-it-forward side of payback?

The urge to track citizens seems to increase with technology’s ability to do it – Erica focuses on an issue in Britain Term-Time Holidaying & The Education System posted at LittleMummy.com.

New Bloggers Completely Off-topic But I’ll Help Anyway

Rich McIver presents How to Power Nap at Work posted at Spine-Health.com Blog.

Rodger Constandse presents 8 Practical Tips for Improving Your Listening Skills posted at Goals to Action.

****************************************************************

Don’t forget to submit your entry for next week’s carnival at Digital Rich Daily

26 Comments »

1. Karen is Thrifty said,

04.15.07 at 8:39 pm

Thanks for hosting!

2. Thrifty Mommy - The 50th Carnival of Family Life said,

04.15.07 at 8:53 pm

[...] 50th edition of the Carnival of Family Life is posted at Everyday Disasters.  Stop by and check out the variety of family related articles. Technorati Tags: blog carnival, [...]

3. Live The Power » Diet Success said,

04.15.07 at 9:05 pm

[...] This article has been included in the 50th! edition of Carnival of Family Life located this week at Everyday Disasters [...]

4. TheBabyBug.com said,

04.15.07 at 9:33 pm

Carnival of Family Life 50…

Another great week at the Carnival of Family Life….

5. Karen said,

04.15.07 at 10:23 pm

Looks great! Thanks for hosting!
    Love the little comment about YouTube you put for my post!! :)

6. therapydoc said,

04.15.07 at 11:01 pm

I started sampling and it’s terrific. Well done, friend.

7. MAD KANE’S HUMOR BLOG » Blog Archive » Linky Love said,

04.16.07 at 12:04 am

[...] now some links, for your reading pleasure: * Carnival of the Mundane * Carnival of the Insanities * Carnival of Family Life * Happiness Carnival * Best Of Me Symphony * Carnival of the Vanities * Carnival of the Decline of [...]

8. Author Mom with Dogs said,

04.16.07 at 6:25 am

Wow. So many entries. A lot of work for you to put together. Lots of good stuff to read. Thanks for such a terrific job!

9. kailani said,

04.16.07 at 12:34 pm

Great job! You’re welcomed to host any time!

10. Fun Playdates said,

04.16.07 at 1:20 pm

Nice job on the Carnival! Thank you for hosting this week.

I wanted to address your comment about being ambivalent about playdate invitations and let you know why they can be very useful for the busy parent.

Playdate invitations come in handy when: a) you need to provide directions b) you need to list contact information – including cell numbers and c) for those parents who need to provide important information pertaining to allergies, medications, etc. The invitations can be quickly downloaded off the computer.

They just make for a special, fun day and work well within the themes of the Funpacks that they come with.

I hope that helped :-)

11. Mama Duck said,

04.16.07 at 6:55 pm

Great job hosting! I’m in the middle of a hosting change at the moment now so I’m not sure the post will show up with your link, hmmmm. Well, I’ll just tell all my friends to come visit the old-fashioned way LOL.

12. skeet’s stuff » Carnival of Family Life said,

04.17.07 at 12:02 am

[...] ditz! Had a super busy day yesterday and forgot to post this. The Carnival of Family Life is up at Everyday Disasters. If I counted right there are forty-one entries this week. I really enjoy this carnival with its [...]

13. Anmol Mehta said,

04.17.07 at 5:30 pm

Super job hosting such a big carnival. Well done. Cheers.

14. Megan Bayliss said,

04.17.07 at 7:57 pm

Thanks so much for your congratulations. Our wedding day was perfect, our honeymoon on Norfolk Island even better and we all look forward to a lifetime of family life togetherness.
    Megan in Australia.

15. ExPat Chef said,

04.18.07 at 12:31 pm

Thanks for hosting! I love how you took time to view and describe all the entries! Gave me some great links, thank you!

16. you should know :D said,

04.18.07 at 6:57 pm

I CANT SEE MY ICON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I WORKED HARD ON IT AND I CANT SEE IT!!!can u do anything to fix it ??

thanks

17. Lisa said,

04.19.07 at 8:16 am

Great job on the carnival this week. It look like there are a lot of good entries to read through.

18. skeet said,

04.20.07 at 6:34 am

It’s Friday morning, 1:30 a.m. I’ve been reading off and on all week and still haven’t finished visiting eveyone! Thanks for tackling this gargantuan task. You’ve done a wonderful job of orgnizing and introducing so many wonderful blogs.

19. Christine said,

04.20.07 at 7:13 am

Re: Getting through all the submissions this week – The only problem with blogging is that you don’t have enough time to read what everyone else is writing. I need more hours in the day. Or maybe everyone else could go on vacation for a month while I catch up. (Does it help that I’m handling all the auction items for my kid’s school auction on Friday and Tuesday & Wednesday I’m working at another kid’s school book fair? No. A word I should practice.)

20. XRumerTestdebratbjis said,

06.02.14 at 10:23 pm

There are several ways to discover cheap Nike Air Jordan footwear. One of the best ways would be to visit sports outlet shops. These locations specialize in athletic footwear at cost-affordable rates. They also offer a range of substantial discounts for both wholesale and retail purchasers.

This popular footwear first made it’s way to the list market back in the 80′s. Named after one of the most legendary superstars within basketball, the shoe was known for its signature black as well as red design. The sneaker then returned a few years ago as part of a promotional campaign, and continues to grow in global recognition today.

Available in multiple sizes, the shoe features advanced padding for optimal support. Whether low cut or in high-top mode, the shoe also provides an ideal balance for wearing, exercise, or even speed walking endeavors. While its price is certainly high on the commercial market, customers can still find these sneakers at cost-efficient prices.

Along with athletic outlets, the Internet is a great place to discover low cost footwear. Actually, auction sites showcase this specific brand everyday. Simply check these sites away and either bid or even buy directly from the sellers. Discount shoe sites is another strategy for finding these brands from bottom dollar prices. Most of these discount shoes sites also offer shipping specials for online or bulk orders.

One of the most common methods to find these sneakers is as simple as visiting sports clothing shops. Due to large inventory and overstocked products, customers are sure to find these sneakers at incredible prices. In fact, the present influx of the brand offers somewhat saturated the marketplace.

No longer is the shoe simply relegated to big spenders and clients with loads of money. As a result of strong publicity and mass advertising, this particular brand has become affordable across the board. Consequently, buyers have a number of ways to secure these sneakers at unbelievable prices.

In recent years, sneaker swaps have increased in Air Jordan 5 popularity all over the world. These are basically venues that allow people to trade footwear along with other customers. These locations also allow people to sell back their used sneakers in a discounted rate. The issue, however, is that the athletic shoes must not be older than per month. The customer must also have a sales receipt in order to prove the date of purchase. This too is an option to locate Michael T sneakers for industry or purchase.

Many purchasers have also been buying this particular brand overseas. Actually, this sneaker is extremely popular in The far east, which is a haven for basketball teams as well as enthusiasts. Since Erina is a living tale and true basketball icon, his athletic shoes and brand and recognized the world over. While many customers have been able to secure overseas discounts, others simply purchase the shoe at current market rates. The latter is simply for people who are pressed for some time and want to showcase the sneakers right away.

No matter which option you choose, there are many ways to get cheap Nike jordans shoes. It simply takes a little legwork as well as research to safe the best prices possible. Customers can also take a look at athletic footwear magazines for more tips and suggestions.

21. blakefocgq said,

06.23.14 at 12:07 pm

The past 12 months they had been huge but because the operating shoe trend began to die lower Nike necessary one thing brand new and inviting to create certain that the company stayed upon best in the industry. In the course of this time cheap jordans was already endorsing an additional companies and Nike noticed him because the “Golden Ticket” to their good results and thus attempted to signal him. Needless to say at the moment Michael Jordan didn’t have notion to what placement this would increase however his agent found the likely in signing a contract with Nike.This then created the sneaker acknowledged these days by a large amount of since the Air Jordans. Once Nike had gotten a maintain of Erina they then presented him together with the name combined with the primary style and hang of colours that they wound up organizing on creating. In the course of the conference among MJ his agent and also the Nike staff issues seemed to not go so properly and Michael was stated to possess a type of bored stiff search on his cope with. Nike representatives where anxious but as soon because they left the meeting Michael explained that he would love to consider element with this offer.Soon after Michael decided to officially get portion in this particular deal Nike signed a two.5 million dollar agreement for 5 many years, as well as royalties along with other fringe benefits and this was then the entire “shoe game” transformed. At that time several basket ball athletic shoes have been basic and white although not the new Air Jordan 1′s, they in which a daring black and red-colored. Now obviously this is a massive change nonetheless it caught the attention associated with viewers all over the place, a lot the National basketball association banned the footwear in the league. This hadn’t quit Michael from sporting them though, but each sport they had been worn the NBA charged Michael a $5,000 fine. This very good was compensated by Nike plus they could treatment much less as their new nike air jordan 2011 sneaker was finding Large coverage.You’d feel that using its large coverage they might sell off like practically nothing but with their high costs the income hadn’t been everything great and Jordan was looking upon leaving the offer. This was until finally Hatfield stepped in and sat down Michael to have a a single on a single discussion upon where he would really like to view the design and firm go. It was right after the Air The nike jordan II’s had been released as well as throughout the preparing of the Air Jordan III’s. With all the support of Michaels input concerning the new Jordan III’s he manufactured them lighter in weight and with much better elements which could be promoted at a cheaper price. It was the turning position of Nike as product sales sky rocketed.Right after several many years with Nike they determined that it could end up being best to produce Jordans Shoes a sub-brand associated with Nike. Following this was set into action the Jordans no extended exactly where produced using the Nike Swoosh or the Nike title concerning Air Jordan 1 Mid Men’s the sneakers providing the The nike jordan brand limitless opportunities on exactly where to venture from this phase.A brand name which commenced on a bumpy street has grown to build among the list of biggest impacts around the shoe business as well as until this day, are nevertheless worn and recognized on their physical appearance.

The Air Jordan eleven is as simple as much one of many most popular sneakers in footwear culture, in addition to one of several most appealing sneakers in Michael Jordan’s signature line. jordan 2011 a>

22. Dr Rashmi Patel dental license suspended said,

07.08.14 at 2:00 am

Dr Rashmi Patel dental license suspended

Everyday Disasters » Carnival of Family Life #50

23. SeceAccolla said,

08.09.14 at 4:40 am

Hi. New site teen tube

24. Virtual Business Addresses San Francisco said,

08.16.14 at 10:06 am

What a material of un-ambiguity and preserveness of valuable know-how on the topic of
    unpredicted feelings.

25. google api console said,

09.24.14 at 7:29 am

I have read so many posts about the blogger lovers however this
    piece of writing is actually a pleasant piece of writing,
    keep it up.

26. Hoapserorgo said,

09.25.14 at 4:47 am

Welcome to Chinese Enterprise Investigation Background Website–http://www.bgcheck.cn

RSS feed for comments on this post · TrackBack URL